SERVINGS: SERVES 4
- 1½ pounds red potatoes, peeled, rinsed, and quartered
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into ¼-inch slices
- 1 celery stalk, chopped into ¼-inch slices
- 1½ Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1½ Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef or vegetable stock
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425˚F
- Stir strawberries and sugar together in a large bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator, allowing strawberries time to macerate.
- Make Biscuit Dough: combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, food processor, or knife, cut in or pulse butter until it is the size of small peas.
- Fold in sour cream and heavy cream until a rough dough forms, being careful to not overwork. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface
- Using (floured) hands or a rolling pin (hands work best), flatten dough into a rectangle, approximately ½ thick.
- Using a 3” biscuit cutter, cut dough into discs, being careful not to twist the cutter (this will prevent the biscuits from rising). Reroll the scraps and cut until you have 10 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush biscuits with heavy cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar (optional). Bake biscuits for 15-20 minutes until the tops turn golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, make the whipped cream. Using a hand held or standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat cream, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until medium stiff peaks form.
- Serve: Slice biscuits in half and place on plates. Top bottom halves with strawberries, followed by a generous dollop of whipped cream. Cover with the top half, add a little more berries and enjoy!