- 1 large butternut squash
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. honey, plus more to taste
- 4 ounces streak o’ lean (or bacon)
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds from the center, and season with salt. Place the squash cut side down on a sheet pan. Bake about
- 1 hour, until the flesh is fork-tender and the juices begin to caramelize.
- Set oven to broiler on high heat. Scoop flesh into ovenproof serving dish. Stir in honey. Taste, and season with more salt and honey, as desired. Broil 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook streak o’ lean slowly in cast-iron skillet until fine bubbles form. Remove from pan, and set aside. Discard all but about 2 Tbsp. fat. Over medium heat, cook the rabe in the rendered fat.
- Serve the butternut squash in a large family-style dish with rabe and streak o’ lean sprinkled on top.