SAUSAGE AND APPLE CORNBREAD DRESSING. PACKED WITH LOCAL APPLES, SAUSAGE, HERBS, AND CORNMEAL, THIS DRESSING HAS A LITTLE SOMETHING SWEET, A LITTLE SOMETHING SAVORY… AND A LOT FOR WHICH TO BE THANKFUL.
SERVINGS: SERVES 8 TO 10
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ pound local sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium apples (smokehouse, Granny Smith, or Albemarle pippin), diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 large sage leaves, chopped
- 2 or 3 large sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix fi rst 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs, oil, and milk together; add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into 9-inch greased black-iron skillet. Bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Reduce oven to 375°F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high; add sausage and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic, cooking until translucent. Add apple and celery; cook 5 more minutes. Add rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper; cook 1 more minute.
- Into a large bowl, crumble the cornbread into small chunks. Add sausage mixture, chicken stock, and 3 eggs (already beaten); stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Bake until golden, about 50 minutes.