SERVINGS: SERVES 8
- 8 mini pumpkins (white or orange)
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ onion, peeled and diced
- ½ carrot, peeled and diced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ tart apple, cored and unpeeled
- 8 ounces Gryffon’s Aerie sausage, casings removed
- 1½ cups crumbled cornbread (made from Wade’s Mill cornbread mix)
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Cut off and reserve tops of mini pumpkins; scrape out and discard seeds. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrot, and thyme, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add sausage and apples and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, and stir in cornbread. Let cool a few minutes, then stir in egg quickly.
4. Fill each pumpkin with a mound of mixture. Place them in a casserole dish, along with pumpkin tops. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, until stuffing is browned and pumpkin flesh on top edge is fork-tender.